Style Guides

Posted: Monday 15 November 2010 | Posted by Adam Townend | Labels: ,

I am looking at style guides as a possible route for my arkitekt brief in order to expand it and not have me designing a lot of the same thing. My original plan was to create covers and spreads for the magazine, but I felt that once I applied a design style to one spread, it would look the same in the next. I feel this is great opportunity to produce a document that could past on to other designers working on the magazine once this brief is complete.


With that in mind have made inroads into finding existing brand guideline documents to get a feel for the content, and then I can apply this to my own guidelines for the magazine for the font usage, size, leading, weight, and so on.

This is a brand guideline document for the university of cambridge. As you would expect you have a cover, contents page and short introduction. Afterwards there is a section on the identity and it's usage, the minimum negative space that should surround it.

Theres also sections on the colour palette and imagery. This is a little more intense than I would be looking for but I would still look to get into some hard-nosed typography and layout.

The content is more important than the aesthetic but over cluttering the pages makes the whole design feel a little clumsy.


Massive type sizes help legibility but not doesn't look professional in this format.


Uncluttered, and smaller type sizes can be read comfortably and there is an acceptable level of balance between the pages.

0 comments: